Powered By Blogger

Sunday 21 August 2011

CHAT - No quick fix

Reading my blogs, my audience would probably think - "WOW this CHAT theory is the best! It took this man two or three weeks, and he is a totally transformed human being. This is not true - there is still a lot of changes I have to go through before I can comfortably state that I am a "changed man"!

According to Roth and Lee; "CHAT cannot be viewed as a master theory or quick fix, for true to its origins, it is subject to inner contradictions, which compel researchers to update, transform, and renew constantly it so that it becomes a reflection of its object" (Roth and Lee, 2007:218).

I have to admit - CHAT works for me. CHAT helped me transform the way in which I used the means available to my disposal, setting rules for interaction and the division of labour. A structure of mediated and collective human activity was created, whereby all actions depended on one-another, and where learners and tools formed part of subject and object. One should never loose sight that learning is equivalent to mutual change of subject and object in the process of activity (Roth and Lee, 2007).

References:
Roth, W.M.& Lee, Y. 2007. Vygotsky's Neglected Legacy: Cultural -Historical Activity Theory. Review of Educational Research. June 2007, Vol.77, No2, pp 186-232.

No comments:

Post a Comment